How to Register Your Advance Health Care Directive

woman typing on computer

Some states offer residents the opportunity to register their living wills or advance health care directives in a state registry for free or for a nominal fee.

In addition to providing copies of your signed and completed advance health care directive to your primary care physician and other health care providers that you have today, submitting your advance health care directive to a registry is a good way to ensure that your advance health care directive is discoverable to any future attending medical team you may have.

States that offer an advance health care directive registry

Below is a list of states that maintain advance health care directive registries with links to their respective websites. If your state is not on the list and you are unable to locate its advance health care directive registry, you might consider using a private service such as the US Advance Care Plan Registry.


Just In Case Estates is an online service providing legal forms and information. We are not a law firm and we do not provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, please use our legal expert matching service to connect with a qualified, licensed estate planning attorney near you.